PARKS AND RESERVES
Parks and reserves managed by KWS
Select a park or reserve to view a list of hotels, lodges, guesthouses and camps managed by KWS
Welcome to Kenya Wildlife Service
Facts about Malindi Marine Park
Malindi Marine Park and Reserve lie between Lat. 3o and 4o south, about 118 km from Mombasa town. It is located to the south of Malindi town. The marine park is endowed with magnificent resources such as fringing reefs, coral gardens in the lagoons, sea grass beds, mangroves, mudflats, and high fish diversity, marine mammals (e.g. dolphins), turtles and various species of shorebirds.
- By Road: Malindi Marine National Park is situated on Kenya’s magnificent Indian Ocean coastline, Malindi town, some 110 km North of Mombasa
- By Air: Malindi Airport is your arrival point
- Tempepature ranges from 20-300 c and rainfall from 200mm – 700 mm
- Two rain seasons: Long rains – March & April & short rains – Nov/ December
SAFARI CARD REQUIRED?
- Smart card required: at present the park does not operate on smart card system. Entry is by cash only (KSH or US$).
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Footwear, e.g. sandals or flip flops (to protect your feet from the reef)
- T-shirts (to protect your body from sunburn)
- Snorkel, mask, fins, all of which are available for hire
- Camera, hat, sunscreen, insect repellant
- Guide books
- Plenty of drinking of water
- A friend(s)
- Magical Island
- Clean oceanic beach & warm water
- Sea turtles
- Benthic cover
- Prolific marine life includes crabs, corals, sea urchins, jellyfish, sea stars, and sea cucumbers. Different varieties of coral species comprise of Acropora), Turbinaria and Porites
WHERE TO STAY
- There is currently no accommodation in the reserve. Visitors can stay in Malindi town which offers various accommodation options. There are lots of luxurious, comfortable and culturally rich hotels and lodges to choose from in close proximity to the Park.
- Camping Facilities
- Campsite has cool shade of indigenous trees which provides scenic and serene environment with a marked nature trail. Your stay here will bring back memories of unspoiled splendor because nature is precisely as it was intended to be. Equipped with 2 erected barbeque and cooking area, working security lights, 2 flush toilets, 2 pit latrines, 5 showers.
- Swimming in the warm ocean water
- Boat Excursion rides
- Visits to the coral gardens to see tropical fish in their habitats
- Picnicking and barbeque in the magical islands
- Trips to Manyugu, a tidal Island, where you can have fresh food
- Glass bottom boat rides
- Conferencing: A resource centre with audio visual equipment with a capacity of 50 and a library
- An education/informational centre with audio visual equipment
- Sea bird watching
- Nature walk along the beach
- Sun bathing
- Snorkeling at coral gardens