PARKS AND RESERVES
Parks and reserves managed by KWS
Select a park or reserve to view a list of hotels, lodges, guesthouses and camps managed by KWS
Mount Elgon National Park
"Untamed wilderness, secluded splendour"
Mt. Elgon is located 420 kms from Nairobi. Access is via tarmac road to Kitale, branch to murram road then to the Chorlim Gate
- Roads: Mt. Elgon is located 420 kms from Nairobi. Access is via tarmac road to Kitale, branch to murram road then to the Chorlim Gate
- Airstrips: There is one airstrip in the park
- Chorlim (main gate)
SIZE / LOCATION
- 196 km2
- On the western border of Kenya with Uganda, in Trans-nzoia District of Rift Valley Province
- The climate is moist to moderate dry. Annual rainfall is over 1,270mm
SAFARI CARD REQUIRED?
- At present the park does not operate the Safari Card system. Entry is by cash only.
- Salt Mining Elephants of Kitum Cave
- Spectacular Waterfall
- Game Viewing around the Mountain
- Viewing the mountain
- Elephant, leopard, giant forest hog, bushbuck, buffalo, duiker, black and white colobus, blue monkeys and golden cat, among others.
- More than 240 bird species in the area, including the African crowned eagle, Ross’ turaco, and red-fronted parrot.
- 340 bird species have been recorded, of which 230 are forest dependant, while 110 are forest specialist.
WHERE TO STAY
- In the park: No lodges or tented campsites in the park at the moment
- KWS Self – Catering Accommodation:
- Koitoboss Guesthouse. Sleeps 6 pax
- Kapkuro Bandas. 4 units each sleeps 3 pax
- Camping Facilities:
- Public Campsites: There are three public campsites namely Nyati, Chorlim and Rongai Campsites
- Special Campsites: Saltlick Special Campsite
- Mountain Climbing
- Horse Riding
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight, walking boots, warm clothing, training shoes, socks, sandals and gaiters. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks.
Mount Elgon National Park Photos
(click to zoom photos)
||Mount Elgon National Park