PARKS AND RESERVES
Parks and reserves managed by KWS
Select a park or reserve to view a list of hotels, lodges, guesthouses and camps managed by KWS
Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park
"Ultimate Panoramic Experience"
The Ol Donyo Sabuk national park is located about 85km north-east of Nairobi in Machakos district of Eastern province. The ecosystem constitutes a mountain which is entirely covered with dense montane forest except for a small area at the top.
Buffalo are the dominant animals in the ecosystem. Other wildlife include bushbuck, leopard, olive baboon, colobus monkey, vervet monkey, Sykes' monkey, Kirk's dik-dik, bush pig, common duiker, reedbuck, rock hyrax, bush-baby, tree and ground squirrel, aardvark, porcupine, mongoose, python and monitor lizard.
The park is home to 45 species of birds and the easily spotted ones include; white-browed sparrow weaver, grey- headed sparrow weaver, African pied wagtail, mourning dove, augur buzzard, African hawk eagle, purple-breasted sunbird, yellow-vented bulbul, speckled mousebird, helmeted guinea fowl, black-headed oriole, grey tit, ring-necked dove, bateleur, great sparrow- hawk, bronze sunbird, superb starling and Mackinnon grey shrike.
- By Road: 85 km north-east of Nairobi. From Thika town proceed 22 km along the main Garissa road to Makutano junction. At Makutano follow the KWS sign and turn right, proceeding 3 km on an all-weather murram road to Donyo town. At Donyo turn right and proceed a further 2 km to the main gate.
SIZE / LOCATION
- 20.7 Km2
- Machakos District, Eastern Province
- January-March is hot and dry, April-June is hot and wet, July-October is very warm and dry, November and December are warm and wet
Entry is by cash only. Tickets may be purchased from KWS Hqs cash office or from the main gate, Oldonyo Sabuk National Park. Proof of identification will be required.
- Citizens – Valid Passport or National ID
- Residents – Valid Passport & re entry pass
- Montane landscape
- An unusual burial site, McMillan grave
- Wildlife Watching
- Abundant forest birds
- Fourteen Falls
- Scenic views of Mt.Kenya from the summit
- Includes; buffalo, leopard, mongoose, bushbuck, olive baboon, colobus monkey, vervet monkey, Sykes' monkey, Kirk's dik-dik, bush pig, common duiker, reedbuck, rock hyrax, bushbaby, tree and ground squirrel, aardvark, porcupine, python and monitor lizard.
- more than 45 species of birds have been recorded.
WHERE TO STAY
- KWS Self – Catering Accommodation:
- Sabuk Guesthouse sleeps 10 people.
- Camping Facilities
- Turacco Public Campsite : Situated at the main gate
- Picnic Areas
- Picnic Site at main gate or
- Picnic at Lookout Point which is at the mountain. At this point clients have an excellent view of Athi Plains, Nairobi City, Thika Industrial town, Ngong Hills and the expansive Kapiti Plains of Kajiado District while enjoying their rest in the Park.
- Game viewing
- Mountain Climbing
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks
||Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park