PARKS AND RESERVES
Parks and reserves managed by KWS
Select a park or reserve to view a list of hotels, lodges, guesthouses and camps managed by KWS
Sibiloi National Park
"The Cradle of Mankind"
The park lies on the northeastern shore of Lake Turkana in northern Kenya, about 800km from Nairobi. The semi desert ecosystem was established to protect wildlife and the unique prehistoric and archaeological sites some of which are linked to the origin of man.
The park is waterless except for the alkaline waters of the lake; it however harbours variety of wildlife including common zebra, giraffe, hippos, crocodile and numerous bird species such as flamingos, pelicans and ducks. Other attractions are the preserved wildlife fossils which include the Giant Tortoise and the 18-20 ft long Crocodile.
- Distance: from Nairobi 800 km north of Nairobi.
- By air There are 2 all weather strips
- Gates: One gate
- Roads: high-clearance 4WD is essential all year round.Travel in convoy is recommended.
- the lake is a three day drive from Nairobi via Marsabit and North Horr, or Maralal and south Horr.
- Alternatively travel by road from Nairobi to Kalokol on the lake’s western shores, via Kitale and Lodwar. From Kalokol boat hire services are available across the lake to Allia Bay.
SIZE / LOCATION
- 1,570 Km2.
- Lake Turkana ,Marsabit Diatrict, Eastern Province.
- scorching hot and arid (especially December- March). June and July are the coolest months. May- September very strong winds blow both morning and evening. Rainfall less than 250mm pa and in some places it may not rain for several years.
PERSONNEL ON CALL
- At present the park does not operate the smartcard system. Entry is by cash only( Ksh or US $ )
- Origin of man: Koobo For a museum and research base.
- The tempestuous ‘jade sea’
- Petrified forests
- Prolific birdlife
- Crocodile Kingdom
- Zebra,Grant’s gazelle, reticulated giraffe, beisa oryx, topi, greater kudu, hippo, lion, cheetah, leopard, striped hyena and silver-backed jackal.
- The world’s largest Nile crocodile population breeds on Lake Turkana Central Island.
WHERE TO STAY
- In- Park Accommodation
- Oasis Lodge
- Lobolo Tented Camp
- Self – Catering Accomodation:
- Allia Bay Guesthouse: offers 3double bedrooms,solar generated electricity and furnished indoor sitting,dinning and kitchen.
- National Museum of Kenya, Koobi Fora, there is also a campsite.
- 2 public campsites (latrines only no water) as follows: Turkana campsite and koodi Fora Campsite
- Sunset Strip Camp
- Game viewing
- Archeological safaris
- Bird watching
BEST TIME TO VISIT
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks
||Sibiloi National Park