PARKS AND RESERVES
Parks and reserves managed by KWS
Select a park or reserve to view a list of hotels, lodges, guesthouses and camps managed by KWS
Saiwa Swamp National Park
The park is located at 385km from Nairobi and 27 km from Kitale town in Trans-Nzoia District of Rift Valley Province. The park ecosystem comprises of forest and swamp vegetation. The swamp is dominated by tall bull-rushes and sedges and is bordered by open grasslands and riverine forests.
The park was established to protect the endangered Sitatunga, a semi-aquatic antelope. Other wildlife species commonly found in the swamp include the Otter, Genet cat, Serval cat, mongoose, bushbuck and monkeys. The ecosystem is also rich in birdlife, harbouring about 372 species.
- By Road: 22km from Kitale on the Kitale-Kapenguria tarmac road. At Kipsaina junction, a 5 km murram road leads to the only park entrance, Sinyerere gate.
- By Air: Served by Kitale airstrip, 22km away from the park.
SIZE / LOCATION
- 2.9 Km2.
- Trans Nzoia District, Rift Valley Province
- Typical of African wetland habitats, the wet and dry climate
- ranges from warm to cool and humid.
- Rainfall peaks around April, August and November to
- deliver an annual average of 1,250mm.
Entry is by Cash only. Cash Receipts can be bought Saiwa Swamp Main Gate or from the KWS Hqs Cash Office. Proof of identification will be required
- Citizens – Valid Passport or National ID
- Residents – Valid Passport & re entry pass
- The endangered Sitatunga Antelope
- Bird watching
- Nature board walk & tree top house
- Includes Sitatunga, monkey, otter, genet cat, serval cat,
- Mongoose, bushbuck and ratel.
WHERE TO STAY
- In Park Accommodation
- KWS Self – Catering Accommodation:
- Tree Top House: Accommodates 2 people
- Camping Facilities
- One serviced campsite available at the main gate.
- Other campsites and accommodation are available at the nearby Sirikwa Tented Camp.
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks
||Saiwa Swamp National Park