PARKS AND RESERVES
Parks and reserves managed by KWS
Location: Kajiado District, Rift Valley Province. The park (Meshanani gate) is 230 km from Nairobi and lies close to the Tanzanian border with magnificent views of snow- capped Mount Kilimanjaro.
Accommodation: The bandas are divided into two units. Each unit having two single beds.Total pax per banda 4.
- Bathroom: Each unit has bathroom with shower and WC
- Seating area: The bandas have a small seating area with two chairs
- Kitchen: Includes; gas stove, fridge, kitchen utensils, cutlery, crockery, and glasses.
- Provided: Caretaker, electricity by generator from( 6.30pm-10pm) blankets, pillows, bed linen, towels, soap and toilet tissue.
Park highlights: Spectacular views of Mount Kilimanjaro and Meru and large elephant herds often viewed in an unusual swamp habitat.
Wildlife: Includes; lion, cheetah, leopard, elephant, zebra, hippo, black rhino, Maasai giraffe, oryx, wildebeest, gerenuk, impala and Grant’s gazelle.
Birds: More than 425 species have been recorded.
How to get there:
- By road via Namanga; From Nairobi the most popular entry gate is Meshanani Main Gate via Namanga at the border with Tanzania. Nairobi- Namanga 165 km. Namanga- Meshanani gate 65 km. Meshanani Gate Park HQ and Warden’s guesthouse 40 km.
- By road via Emali: an alternative route is via Emali on the main Nairobi- Mombasa road. At Emali turn onto the murram Emali-Oloitokitok road. After Makutano, follow signs to the right to Amboseli, entering at Iremito Gate. Alternatively, continue on the Loitokitok road to Kimana shopping center and follow the signs for the park entering at Kimana gate. The Park HQ and Warden’s Guesthouse are 2 km from Kimana Gate.
- By road from Tsavo West National Park: There is a road linking Tsavo West National Park with Amboseli National Park, entering Amboseli at Kimana Gate.
- By air: The Park has its own airstrip.
- Roads: 4WD is recommended, especially during the rainy season.
Open: Daily 6.00 a.m. - 7.00 p.m. including public holidays. Note: no entry is allowed on foot and visitors will not be allowed entry after 6.15 p.m.
‘SafariCard’ required? Entry is by SafariCard only; cards can be obtained and loaded at Meshanani Gate.
- Citizens & Residents kshs 4000, Non residents USD 90.
Nyati Cottages Photos
(click to zoom photos)