PARKS AND RESERVES
Parks and reserves managed by KWS
Location: Kakamega District, Western Province
Accommodation: 2 cottages, each cottage divided into two self contained bandas. Each banda has one bedroom with two single beds.
- Bathroom: Each banda has an ensuite bathroom and WC. Hot water is provided by the wood burning stove
- Sitting room: Each banda has a small seating area (no log fire)
- Kitchen: Each banda has a small kitchen with gas stove, kitchen utensils, cutlery, crockery and glasses
- Provided: Caretaker, kerosene lamps, blankets and pillows
- By Road: The reserve is 415km away from Nairobi via Nakuru and Kapsabet towns.
- By Air: There are no scheduled flights to Kakamega and visitors have to fly to Kisumu or Eldoret and connect to Kakamega by road.
SIZE / LOCATION
- Temperature ranges from 20-300 c and rainfall from 200mm – 700 mm
- Two rain seasons: Long rains – March & April & short rains – Nov/ December
SMARTCARD REQUIRED? Entry is by Cash only. Cash Receipts can be bought at the Kakamega National Reserve main gate or KWS Hqs Nairobi Cash office. Proof of identification will be required.
- Citizens – Valid Passport or National ID
- Residents – Valid Passport & re entry pass
- Birdwatching: Over 300 bird species
- Butterfly watching: over 400 species of butterflies
- Massive Trees, Scenic Spots and Waterfalls: Over 350 species of trees, the forest holds mostly indigenous vegetation
- Snakes: 27 species of snakes
- Primates Watching: Home to Debrazza monkey and other primates
- Wildlife: Bush Pig, Duikers, Bushback, Clawless Otter, Mongoose, Giant Water Shrew, Squirrels, Tree Pangolin, Porcupine, Bats and Primates.
- Birds: 330 species of which some are found nowhere else in the country. The common one being the Blue Turacco.
- Forest Walking
- Primate Watching
- Bird and Butterfly Watching
- Game watching
- Self-Guided nature walks
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks
- All seasons,Citizens and Residents kshs 2000 per banda,Non resident rate USD 50
Isukuti Houses Photos
(click to zoom photos)